Double Chocolate Coconut Cake: refined sugar and dairy free, raw and no baking required
Chocolate cake is one of those desserts that virtually no one can resist! However, most cakes are packed with sugar and tons of calories, which is a huge disadvantage for weight-watchers or Paleo eaters for instance. The good news is that his moist, chocolaty perfection is much healthier and is definitely the cake you`ve been looking for.
This antioxidant-rich chocolate cake is no-bake, sugar-free, and dairy-free! It is sweetened with maple syrup and topped with coconut cream, which makes the frosting completely guilt-free!
Begin by mixing cocoa powder and almond meal in a bowl. Not only will they provide a dose of chocolate flavor, but these ingredients will also give this cake texture and stability. Then, mix the coconut oil, coconut milk, and maple syrup in a pan. Finally, add the unsweetened dark chocolate and whisk until smooth.
Dark chocolate chips are quite difficult to find in grocery stores, but they are available online. However, getting bars of unsweetened chocolate and chopping them into tiny pieces works well, too. Stir the cocoa powder and almond meal mixture in the wet ingredients to create a thick mixture. Then, pour the mixture into a greased pan and keep it refrigerated for an hour.
Prepare the chocolate coconut frosting in the meantime, by beating the coconut cream, maple syrup, and cocoa powder using a hand mixer. Keep the coconut cream in the refrigerator for a couple of hours. If there is coconut water on the top, remove it from the can or save it for further use, such as adding it in smoothies.
When the cake is set, remove it from the pain with a sharp knife. Flip it over on a plate and frost with the previously prepared frosting. Slice and serve! While this cake is tasty any time of the year, it is especially delicious in the summer with a side of berries.
Naked Paleo Chocolate Cake
Sweetened with maple syrup and topped with coconut cream frosting, this no-bake cake is packed with antioxidants and guilt-free craving fix.
Total Time: 1hr 20 Mins
Prep Time: 15 Mins
Cook Time: 5 Mins
For the Chocolate Cake:
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1 cup unsweetened dark chocolate chunks
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 14 oz can full-fat coconut milk
For Coconut Chocolate Frosting
- 1 ½ cups coconut milk
- 3 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Grease an 8-inch round cake pan using coconut oil. Mix the cocoa powder and almond meal in a bowl, and set aside.
- Heat the coconut oil, maple syrup, and coconut milk. Pour the mixture in a larger mixing bowl and combine it with chocolate chips.
- Combine the cocoa powder and almond meal mixture with the wet ingredient until fully combined. Pour the mixture into a pan, smooth with a spatula, and freeze for an hour.
- Mix the coconut cream, cocoa powder, and maple syrup for frosting. Beat them with a hand mixer, place in a jar, and store in the refrigerator.
- Remove the cake from the pan using a knife to loosen from the edges of the pan.
- Frost with the previously prepared frosting.
- Slice and serve!