Learn How to Make Marshmallows That Are so Healthy You Can Eat Multiple Without Guilt
Did you know that making healthier marshmallow is completely doable? Well, this article presents a very simple recipe which allows you to go ingredient by ingredient and take matters into your own hands. It is worth mentioning that the ingredients being used lean on the luxurious side, but if you are planning on preparing this treat for a special occasion, you are at the right place!
Keep it simple, natural, and “raw”
The ingredients used in the recipe are non-processed and all-natural but the recipe itself is non-vegan. However, feel free to adapt it to meet your dietary restriction and go for a vegan or gluten-free variant.
First: Grass-fed gelatin
To stay on the safe side and avoid any pesticides or hormones that could have been potentially administered in the animals, opt for grass-fed Kosher beef kind. Gelatin is packed with protein and amino acids, both of which keep the skin smooth, promote bone and teeth health and stimulate muscle synthesis.
Next up: Organic honey
Organic honey contains antioxidants and flavonoids which promote heart health and even serve as a preventative measure against some cancers. However, these benefits apply to organic, natural honey only!
Second to last: Organic vanilla extract
According to a 2013 study by the “Indian Journal of Experimental Biology”, vanillin, the active ingredient in vanilla extract, helps lower cholesterol and cleanse the arteries.
And Lastly: Unrefined sea salt
Apart from providing flavor, unrefined salt and the 92 essential minerals it contains provide a wide plethora of health benefits too, from keeping blood sugar in check to helping you avoid detrimental additives.
Note: For additional benefits, roll the marshmallows in dark cocoa powder, coconut, or shaved almonds, instead of sugar.
Homemade “Healthy” Marshmallow Recipe
- 1 cup filtered water
- 3 tbsp Grass fed beef gelatin
- 1 cup organic honey
- 1 tsp organic vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp unrefined sea salt
- Grease an 8×8 pan
- Line the pan with unbleached parchment paper, leaving a few inches to use as handles when removing the marshmallows
- Add the gelatin and ½ cup of the water in a mixer bowl
- Pour the other half of the water in a pan along with the honey, vanilla, and salt
- Bring the mixture to boil and boil until it reaches 240 degrees
- Remove the saucepan from heat
- Pour the mixture into the softened gelatin and beat on high speed for about 10 minutes
- Pour the marshmallow crème into the prepared pan and press it down with parchment paper
Coating: You can choose from the many options available, including crushed nuts, coconut, almond flour mixed with spices, dark chocolate, cocoa …