Killer Kale Smoothie
Here’s another healthy green smoothie featuring my favorite green leafy veggie. Some people find kale too bitter (try kale chips), but not me, I like a little bitterness.
If you live in a temperate climate and can get your hands on kale grown outdoors in colder weather you’ll find it’s more pleasing to the picky palate – after a good frost kale’s leaves become much sweeter.
As is the case with other Brassicas, kale increases the amount of sugar inside its leaves to lower the temperature at which freezing begins. Pretty cool survival mechanism, eh?
Sweetness and bitterness aside, kale provides these key health benefits, which make it an excellent veggie to green your smoothie with.
Kale Health Benefits:
- Super rich in vitamins A, C, and K, and a good source of numerous other vitamins and minerals
- Antioxidants, Anti-Inflammatory, and Anti-Cancerous
- Supports the cardiovascular system
- Supports the body’s detoxification efforts
Lucky for me my local CSA has hoop houses that allow them to grow kale all winter long.
If you can’t find sweeter kale, or do but it’s still too bitter, make sure to use a very ripe banana and/or plenty of sweetener. Enjoy!
Killer Kale Smoothie Recipe
- 1 cup almond milk (substitute coconut, hemp, or raw milk)
- 1 fresh or frozen medium banana
- 1 cup kale, stems removed
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds or chia seed gel (substitute flax seeds)
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- A little honey, maple syrup, or stevia to sweeten (optional)
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen berries of your choice
- 1 tablespoon coconut flakes or shreds
- 1 serving of your preferred protein and/or green superfood powder
Place all of the ingredients into your high-speed blender and blend for around 30-45 seconds or until nice and smooth.
- Calories: 275
- Fat: 13g
- Protein: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 38g
- Fiber: 9g
- Sugar: 17g
- Vitamin A: 33% RDA
- Vitamin C: 151% RDA
- Vitamin K: 657% RDA
- Calcium: 46% RDA
- Iron: 16% RDA
I’d love to know if you tried this killer kale smoothie – please do tell in the comments below. Happy Blending!