Roast Brussel Sprouts with Coconut Oil to Create a Powerful Anti-Inflammatory Snack
If you haven’t heard about this delicious cruciferous vegetable, now is the time to learn about its many health benefits due to its cancer preventive and antioxidant properties.
Brussel Sprouts – Health Benefits
- Antioxidant Properties. Brussel sprouts include vitamin antioxidants like vitamin C and A, flavonoid antioxidants such as isorhamnetin, kaempferol, and quercetin. Health. This group of antioxidants help the cells in the body exposed to oxidative damage, most often because of oxygen-containing molecules which are excessively reactive.
- Cardiovascular Support. Researchers have discovered that Brussel sprouts have the ability to reduce the risk of cardiovascular issues such as atherosclerosis, ischemic heart disease, and heart attack.
- Anti-inflammatory Effects. Brussel sprouts provide health benefits from the various nutrients in their content, such as glucosinolate, thus helping you to prevent chronic, excessive inflammation. These nutrients aid in the regulation of the inflammatory/anti-inflammatory system of the body.
- Digestive Support. A cup of Brussel sprouts contains four grams of fiber, making them excellent food for support of the digestive system. Health. Moreover, the compound sulforaphane obtained by this vegetable blocks bacterial overgrowth, thus helping in the protection of the stomach lining.
After learning some of the health benefits from this amazing cruciferous vegetable, we present you a recipe to enjoy these delicious Brussel sprouts.
Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- 1,5 pounds Brussels sprouts with yellow leaves removed and trimmed ends
- 3 tablespoons of coconut oil, ghee or melted grass fed butter
- 1 tablespoon of kosher salt
- Half a teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Put all the ingredients in a large plastic bag, seal it, and shake well in order to coat the sprouts. Health. Then, place the content on a baking sheet and put them in the preheated oven. Shake the pan every five to seven minutes, and cook for about 20 to 45 minutes.
If you notice they start to burn, low the heat. Health. Fully cooked Brussel sprouts have dark brown to black color. Serve right after you get them out of the oven. Add more salt or pepper to taste.
This is one easy way to consume this delicious and healthy vegetable, but if you don’t like this recipe, you can easily find more ways to cook and consume them.