Sexually Transmitted Diseases – causes, symptoms & risk factors
STD means sexually transmitted diseases. Many of us think that if we have STD, then we can easily recognize it. But we are wrong because the symptoms of these diseases can be mistaken with symptoms of other diseases. In some cases when we have STD, then we do not have any kind of symptom. People who are sexually active should know the signs and symptoms of STD because they can prevent themselves from worsening of this condition. This kind of disease can be transmitted when we have sexual intercourse with another person. These kinds of diseases are also known as STIs which means sexually transmitted infections. In the most cases they are transmitted during vaginal sex but the chances of getting STI from oral and anal sex are not excluded.
Causes of Sexually transmitted diseases
There are many organisms which can lead to sexually transmitted diseases such as
- Bacteria; Here we can include some types of bacteria such as syphilis, Chlamydia and gonorrhea
- Viruses; Here we can include some types of viruses such as human papilloma virus (HPV), hepatitis B, HIV virus and herpes complex
Who is having a risk of getting sexually transmitted diseases
People who have unprotected sexual intercourse are in risk getting sexually transmitted disease. But also there are groups of people who are having increased risk of getting sexually transmitted diseases such as
- People who work like commercial sex workers
- People who have sex with multiple sex partners
- People who are using drugs (drug – abusers) which in the most cases are having high – risk sexual intercourse
- People who do not use condom during their sexual intercourse
- People who have sex with some partner who in his/her past has many sexual partners
- People who have a sex partner who in his/her past did not used condoms while he or she was having a sex with multiple sex partners
Symptoms of sexually transmitted diseases: The symptoms of this kind of disease can depend from the infection. They vary from one person to another person. But also there are many common symptoms of sexually transmitted diseases such as:
- They see a discharge from their vagina or penis
- They have noticed that they have itching around their genitalia
- They have noticed many blisters around their genital area that can turn into scabs
- They have noticed that when they have sex they are feeling a pain or when they are urinating. This kind of pain can be with burning and stabbing nature. Also they can feel a dull pain in their pelvic area.
- They have noticed chancre sores which are painless. Also they have noticed red sores which are present around the genital area, throat, tongue, anus and mouth.
- They feel pain in their anus and around their anus. Also people who have oral sex with some person that is infected can feel pain and sores.
- Also these people can see soft and fresh colored – warts around their genital area
- They can notice a scaly rush over the soles of their feet and over the palms of their hands
- If they have hepatitis infection, then their urine can be dark and their stool can be chalky color and light. Also their skin, their nail beds and the whites of their eyes can have yellow color.
- The most general symptoms are weakness, fever, swollen lymph nodes, muscle aches and body aches
- People who have HIV infection which has progressed to AIDS can feel recurrent infections, weight loss, tiredness and night sweats
If you feel some of the mentioned symptoms, then you must talk with your doctor. If you do not treat the sexually transmitted diseases as soon as possible, then you can have serious consequences in the future and also you can transmit this kind of disease on your sexual partner. The treatment of this disease depends on the variety of the infection that you have. In the most cases the first treatment about this condition is to prevent it to spread on the other parts of your body. You should do regular checkups at your doctor’s office. In this way you can know if you have healthy penis/vagina. If you have safer sex (this means with condoms), then you can reduce the risk of getting sexually transmitted diseases.