Healthy Hot Cross Muffins
All of the flavor of the hot cross buns without the fuss of proving your buns first – Easy!
- 3 gluten free flour mix (or 1 ½ cup almond meal with 1 ½ cup brown rice flour)
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 1 cup almond milk or coconut milk
- 1 cup dried fruit (we used ½ cup currants & ½ cup sultanas)
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 2 eggs (or flax / chia seed egg)
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- Preheat oven to 350â (180â) and line and grease a 12-hole muffin tray.
- Soak dried fruit, drain and pat dry.
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Combine wet ingredients then combine both.
- Divide mixture between muffin cases and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Sift 1/2 cup of brown rice flour into a bowl and add 1/4 cup of water, mix to form a paste. You may need to add a touch more water to make the mixture a thick, but still fluid consistency. Fill into a small ziplock bag and then cut a hole across the corner. Use this to pipe crosses onto the top of each bun before baking.