5 Most Powerful Herbs That Will Protect You from Cold and Flu
The season of cold and flu started.
More people are using home remedies as a natural prevention of cold and flu. There are a lot of natural remedies that have a history of safe treatment. But, there is little doubt about their safety and efficacy.
Different herbs work in different parts of the body, but they are all safe.
Cold and Flu Home Remedies
Following herbs are at the top of the list of natural remedies against cold and flu:
1. Astralagus is one of the most commonly used herbs in Chinese medicine available at any local healthy food store. This herb helps build the immune system and reduce the risk of cold and flu. J.E. Williams (author of ‘Beating the Flu: The Natural Prescription for Surviving Pandemic Influenza and Bird Flu’), recommends taking 250 to 500 mg. of this herb, three times a week, every morning during the season of cold and flu. The differences will be apparent. Note: do not take if you have a fever.
2. Ginseng is a herb that certainly helps in the prevention and treatment of cold and flu. According to a recent research, published in April 2014 by Sang-Moo Kang of Georgia State University, ginseng helps in the treatment and prevention of influenza and respiratory syncytial virus (a virus that infects the lungs and airways).
3. Elderberry is often used as a homemade immune booster syrup, which prevents the flu virus from attaching to your cells. According to the study in 2004, published in the Journal of International Medical Research, the results in patients suffering from influenza, who were given elderberry extract, were amazing. Elderberry syrup is the best natural remedy for cold and flu and can be found in any healthy food store.
4. Echinacea – Many people believe that drugs are “the only mainstream”. But, Echinacea is a natural supplement in the same class and with the same proportion of sales with many medical drugs in the market. With over $130 million sold in 2009, Echinacea is truly tested remedy for cold and flu, which has been used for centuries by the Indian cultures for several types of diseases.
А study done on 95 people with symptoms of cold and flu, proved that those who drank Echinacea tea within 5 days, felt better than those who do not drink it. Although science does not stand firmly behind this finding, there are many anecdotal evidences that it works. Echinacea is a popular herb widely prevalent and it is certainly one of the best immune boosters against cold and flu.
5. Garlic is cheap and always available. But,it does not mean that is less effective. It is known as a natural antibiotic, used as an additive in soups and preventing viral infections from the outset. Power of garlic against cold and flu is described in a study of American Journal of Clinical Nutrition from June 2012. There are facts that prove that its use reduces the symptoms and the number of missed work days due to some diseases. Garlic is a proven natural treatment for cold and flu. As antiviral supplements, along with garlic, you can use coconut oil and oil of oregano.
You should also read the articles: Why Sprouted Garlic Should Become a Part of Your Everyday Life and Magical Healing Soup Recipe – 100 Times Stronger Than Any Antibiotic.
However, choose organic supplements to treat cold and flu. Consult your doctor, take natural Vitamin D, Vitamin C (found in oranges, kiwi, peppers), zinc and even supplements as Camu Camu. Cold and flu can become a serious matter if not treated on time and in the right way. Natural herbs are your best choice.