Smoothie Recipe With Turmeric And Coconut Oil – Depression Busting
While turmeric is best known for its versatility in cooking and ability to add unique flavor and golden-hue to stir fries and other fishes, it keeps on surprising researchers with its wide array of exceptional health benefits. It has a robust nutritional profile, so the fact that it offers so many health benefits doesn`t come as surprise.
Some of the most significant benefits include:
- It works as very powerful anti-inflammatory agent as its active ingredient, called curcumin, inhibits molecule known to trigger inflammation. As a matter of fact, it has been shown to provide the same results as ibuprofen, aspirin, and other anti-inflammatory drugs.
- It contains potent antioxidant effects and is known to neutralize free radicals and stimulate body`s own antioxidant enzymes.
- It increases BDNF levels, which in turn stimulates growth of new neurons and combats many different degenerative processes in the brain.
- It lowers the risk of heart attack by affecting a few factors known to play a significant role in heart disease
- It helps prevent and treat cancer
- It helps treat symptoms of arthritis due to its anti-inflammatory properties
- It combats age-related diseases and delays aging
Additionally, there are more than 500 peer reviewed studies on turmeric which have revealed many therapeutic applications for it, including treating depression in an all-natural way.
Even though its ability to treat depression is less known, turmeric works even better than Prozac in beating it. According to a study in Phytotherapy Research, curcumin, the active compound in turmeric, is both safe and effective in treating serious states of depression.” Another benefit of turmeric is the fact that it doesn’t cause any “side-benefits”, including healing and protective properties which go far beyond treating depression.
It is recommended to combine turmeric powder with a pinch of black pepper, in order to boost its bioavailability. It has been scientifically shown that up to 8 grams of turmeric can be consumed daily without any side effects.
As mentioned above, researchers recommended mixing turmeric with black pepper, as turmeric on its own has low bioavailability. Additionally, healthy fat such as coconut oil has been found t boost absorption of turmeric as well.
A root juice of carrot, ginger, turmeric, and beet is a good combination. It is important to mention that turmeric has a strong taste and you should start off with a small chunk and increase the size gradually until it reaches the size of about half your pinky finger.
Even though the best way to boost your mood naturally is to live in accordance to the Seven Principles of Health, the smoothie presented below is quite effective as well.
In case you are not familiar with the Seven Principles of Health, check them out below:
1. Deep breathing
2. Getting out in the sun
4. Eating whole food
5. Drinking water
6. Finding your passion
7. Being in nourishing relationships
– 1 cup of coconut milk or hemp
– ½ cup frozen mango or pineapple chunks
– 1 tbsp coconut oil
– 1 fresh banana
– 1 tsp chia seeds
– 1 tsp maca
– ½ tsp ginger
– ½ tsp cinnamon and ½ tsp turmeric
Blend all the ingredients together and enjoy! As simple as that!