This article was helped to prepare and write by experts of the online wallpaper store in Kiev – who have vast experience in selling high-quality wallpaper for walls. In this article will consider the main aspects when choosing a wallpaper. Indeed, in the creation of a unique image of the interior, they play one of the most important roles. Wallpaper is the mood with which your home will meet you.
Tips for Choosing Wallpaper: Know their Composition
Wallpaper consists of a base and cover. The base is a layer in contact with the wall and impregnated with glue. It can be paper, fabric and artificial. Coating is what is applied to the substrate. Here, manufacturers are not used to restricting themselves; they use: paper, fibers of vegetable, animal, mineral and artificial origin, metal, polymers, varnishes, paints, and combinations thereof.
If the wallpaper is of high quality, each roll always has an equal number of meters, there are no factory defects, the pattern and color scheme are no different. In any case, when buying wallpaper, you need to check that the rolls of one article have one lot number, otherwise there may be discrepancies in color. Already at home, having expanded the wallpaper, you need to see if there is a visible marriage on them.
A significant advantage is the affordable price, change them at least every year without much damage to the budget. Professional terminology – wrap around the mustache: thin single-layer paper wallpapers are called simplex, consisting of two layers of paper pressed together – duplex.
Simplex is the easiest option. They are environmentally friendly, pass air well, and have insignificant sound-absorbing and heat-holding properties. True, fragile, easily fade (not resistant to ultraviolet rays). Also, this wallpaper is very moody – the walls should be perfectly aligned. Duplex wallpaper. This wallpaper is less prone to sticking deformation than simplex. They have high light and moisture resistance. They can be used in the kitchen.
Non-woven wallpaper does not need a paper base, it is homogeneous from the front and back side and consists, according to manufacturers, of fibers of plant origin. After the sticker, they can be painted with water-based emulsion, latex or acrylic paint (withstand up to five coatings).
These wallpapers, according to the manufacturers, have super strength, but they acquire special strength, resistance to abrasion and humidity only after sticker and painting. A special advantage of these wallpapers is that there is no need to coat them with glue, they are applied only to the wall. Many Western manufacturers predict that non-woven fabric will soon replace paper in production. Already, it is used as the basis for various versions of vinyl wallpaper.
What should be noted in the first place is the absolute environmental friendliness of this type of wallpaper and, as a consequence, their high cost. They are a fabric base (silk, linen, jute, viscose), duplicated from the inside with paper. Such wallpapers can be cleaned with a vacuum cleaner, they absorb sound well, are good heat insulators, do not fade.
Their surface is a variety of textile textures, matte or shiny, often plain or with traditional stripes. Production technology is very complex and multi-stage. The base is paper on which adhesive paints are applied. Then the paper and with it the smallest nylon hairs are placed in a special chamber. Under the influence of an electromagnetic field, the hairs adhere to the surface of the paper perpendicularly, forming a velor pile.
The disadvantages of textile wallpaper: instability to mechanical damage and hygroscopicity, that is, they can not be subjected to wet cleaning.
It can be divided into three types – “silkscreen”, foamed vinyl and its kind of “bulk vinyl” (with deep embossing), washable vinyl. The iridescent, silky and pearlescent effect of “silk-screen printing” is created with the help of the smallest notches-patterns reflecting light. Thanks to the foam coating, vinyl wallpapers for walls can have almost sculptural expressiveness of relief.
Vinyl can imitate ceramic tiles, leather, suede, natural fabrics, wood, there are drawings under marble, granite, plaster and other finishing materials. Washable vinyl has high moisture resistance and is designed for kitchens and bathrooms.
Kitchens, hallways, bathrooms – these are the best places for them, because vinyl does not allow air and moisture to pass through. The advantage of vinyl wallpaper – in the “boundless” wealth of choice.
This wallpaper is a kind of woven base made of fiberglass made from quartz sand, soda, dolomite and lime. The material is obtained in various densities and structures, with beautiful textures, reliefs and ornaments.
Cullets have a number of valuable qualities: decorativeness and the ability to correct small flaws in the walls. Before gluing fiberglass wallpaper, it is recommended to cover the wall surface with a neutral latex primer. Latex paint is also introduced into the glue, which is close to the shade of the topcoat, it can also be used to prime the wall and wallpaper.
Like any other material, liquid wallpaper has its own application technology and its advantages. It is very important to remember that the relevance of such material for repair today, lies primarily in practicality and reliability. These wallpapers are very simple both in installation and in operation, and thanks to a very different gamut of colors, you can create comfort and beauty at home without any problems. Consider the quality of the material, and, of course, how much such material is beneficial to use.
The cost of such wallpaper is small. Compared to ordinary wallpaper, liquid is much better. They differ in interesting design, durability and cost.
How to choose a liquid wallpaper
Speaking about how to choose such a material for yourself, it is important to consider the following several points:
- Pay attention to how reliable and safe this material is. It is very important that the liquid wallpaper is of excellent quality, that they contain high-quality components;
- It is also very important that during installation and operation of such wallpaper there should be no problems. Thus, the repair will be a real pleasure for you;
- Look at the reviews about such material in order to understand how profitable it is to use it for the home, and whether it is worth it at all.
Calculation of the number of wallpapers
The required number is calculated based on the size of the room, its height and your wishes. They can be combined, used with a border or glued with non-standard layouts. A preliminary sketch, markup and accurate calculations in this case are more than appropriate. Initial data – standard roll sizes: length 10.05 meters and width 50, 56, 60 centimeters. Remember that the error occurs in most cases in the direction of increasing the amount of material.
Wallpapering – all the subtleties: Technology, tips.
How to glue the wallpaper? This question is asked by many, before starting repairs in an apartment or in a house. Having finished puttying the walls, painting the ceiling and ceiling skirting boards, if any, the time comes to glue the wallpaper. If someone thinks that it is easy and simple – you are mistaken.
Various subtleties and nuances when gluing wallpapers are enough and if you do not take them into account, you can easily spoil expensive wallpapers. And instead of a feeling of joy from a fresh repair, you can get upset … After all, looking at how the wallpaper parted or peeled off at the joints and in other places, and according to the law of meanness, also in the most prominent place, is not very pleasant. To avoid this, you need to know the technology of wallpapering – how to properly, and learn from the experience of others, if your own is not enough.
So, consider the technology of wallpapering by points:
1. Choosing a wallpaper – we select glue for them. For high-quality wallpapering, special wallpaper glue is used, and for different types of wallpaper it is different. It must have high adhesive properties, be moderately moisture resistant, resist the development of mold and fungi, dissolve easily in water without lumps, be transparent and not leave stains on the wallpaper.
Now there are a lot of different adhesives for wallpaper, but not all of them, unfortunately, meet the above requirements. And also such a thing as universal glue for wallpaper, now, with the current assortment of wallpapers – does not exist. For example, finishers recommend QUELYD Express glue for plain paper wallpapers, it has a greenish packaging, for other types of wallpaper, heavy (vinyl, paintable, textile) also QUELYD glue, purple packaging.
2. Having chosen and bought the right glue, we proceed to its preparation. The instructions indicate what concentration to do, I think there will be no problems with this. We pour warm water into a clean bucket, and, stirring it with a wooden stick, crush glue there a little, without stopping stirring … Thus lumps will not form. After thoroughly stirring everything, it is necessary to give the glue a little (15-20 minutes) to saturate, for complete dissolution and once again to mix well. Wallpaper glue then becomes homogeneous and ready for use.
3. For better adhesion, before gluing the wallpaper, it is necessary to prime the walls with diluted wallpaper glue. To do this, dilute the finished glue with water by 20-30%. Further, as a rule, glue is applied to the back of the wallpaper, let them stand a little and proceed to pasting. But this technology is not suitable for all wallpapers. For some types of wallpaper, for example, non-woven, this approach is unacceptable.
In this case, the glue must be applied directly to the wall, otherwise they will become sagging, stretched, and when dried, gaps are formed and gaps form at the joints between the strips. Before wallpapering, carefully read the instructions for the wallpaper, branded manufacturers usually write there specific features of the wallpaper.
4. Before gluing the first canvas of wallpaper, you must beat off the vertical. We take a construction plumb or a long level, apply it to the wall in the right place and draw a line, then we glue the first canvas along it or parallel to it. Now very rarely anyone glues wallpaper with an overlap, usually everyone glues butt, which complicates the gluing. Also, before you cut the canvas, you need to pay attention to the patterns so that they match.
We measure the height of the wall, figure out where and how the patterns will go and cut off the first canvas with a small margin of 5-7 cm, and all the others along it, while also looking at the patterns. If there are no patterns – everything is much simpler, then we pay attention only to the length of the panel. In this case, the consumption of wallpaper is much less. This should be considered when buying.
5. For applying glue to the wallpaper, an ordinary painting wide brush or roller is suitable. We spread film or paper on the floor, the length of the panel, fold the strips on top of each other and apply wallpaper glue from the back. After, in this state, we usually withstand 3-7 minutes and glue the sheet. The time for soaking wallpapers, for different wallpapers, is different, the instructions usually write which one should be paused or not done at all. Strongly overexposure them is also not worth it, because Then the wallpaper will be hard to glue, they can be torn in the hands.
6. We glue the canvas to the wall, smooth wrinkles and bubbles from the middle to the edges with a clean rag, sponge, brush or just hands. If glue is squeezed out of the joints, remove it with a damp rag or sponge. If the paint on the wallpaper, when soaking, smears, then smooth them better with a brush.
7. Since we have a supply of panels with a margin in length, after gluing them, an excess of material forms under the ceiling and at the floor baseboard. We do the following – mark the desired length in place with a simple pencil (with a margin of 4-6 mm for cutting to the baseboard if necessary), then slightly tear off the fresh wallpaper, cut off the excess under the ruler with a knife or scissors and glue it again.
8. If the wallpaper is vinyl, and now it is popular and very widely used, then when gluing the border over the wallpaper, a problem may arise – the border may fall off after a while. To prevent this from happening, you need to stick it on the wall, let it be longer, but more reliable. We do it like this: at the desired height, make a mark, keeping the horizon along the perimeter, stick the upper part of the wallpaper. We cut them along the line with a knife using a metal ruler, then glue the border side-by-side, but not until the end, then glue the bottom of the wallpaper and wind the top under the border, and then cut it along the border and glue the border to the end. Yes, confusing, but it’s worth it.
9. How to paste wallpaper on sockets and switches? Of course, it would be nice to run the wallpaper under the cover of a socket or switch, but for this you need to turn off the electricity. Ask an electrician or a competent person to let him do this: you need to unscrew the plugs or turn off the circuit breaker and check with a device that there is no voltage in the sockets and on the terminals of the switches.
Hang a sign that says “Don’t turn it on!” to the circuit breaker or counter. After that, remove the covers from sockets or switches and glue the wallpaper. We cut the hole crosswise in the place of the outlet (switch) and fill the ends of the wallpaper into the box of the outlet (switch), cutting off the excess. After drying the wallpaper, we put the covers in place. If there is no one to turn off the electricity, it means that we glue it, that is, gently glue the contour of the cover of the socket or switch, gently cutting holes in the wallpaper.
10. Everything, how to glue the wallpaper disassembled, but there is another important point – how to dry the wallpaper? Negligence in this matter can ruin all your work. During wallpapering and until they dry completely, you need to ensure that there are no drafts, to exclude all their possibility. This is dangerous in that the drying of the wallpaper will occur unevenly, which will lead to marriage: spilling of joints, peeling, tearing of the wallpaper, etc. Therefore, close the doors, windows, windows and tolerate a little while the wallpaper gradually dries, and then ventilate the room.
Adhering to the above rules, you can now easily glue the wallpaper yourself, with your own hands and save money on something else. The technology for wallpapering is complicated until you master it, and then do everything without thinking. Try it and you will succeed now!