Magnesium is one of the crucial minerals for the body as it participates in more than 300 metabolic processes. Therefore, its low levels cause various health issues.
Unfortunately, what is concerning is that experts claim that magnesium deficiency is one of the most common nutritional deficiencies, affecting over 80% of the American population.
The things are even more aggravated due to the fact that most people are not even aware that they lack this mineral in the body.
Magnesium deficiency might be the main cause for muscle cramps, anxiety, and memory loss. On the other hand, the intake of sufficient levels of magnesium will quickly solve these problems.
Experts claim that the average human body contains about 25gr. of magnesium, and half of it is concentrated in the bones, and 1% is in the blood. This mineral is in charge of:
- Energy production
- Bone and cell formation
- Nutrient metabolism
- A precursor for neurotransmitters such as serotonin
- Nerve impulse transmission and muscle contraction
- Active transport of calcium, potassium, silica, vitamin D, and vitamin K across cell membranes
The following symptoms indicate that your body lacks magnesium:
- Fatigue and weakness
- High blood pressure
- Blood clots
- Loss of appetite
- Personality changes
- Muscle contractions and cramps
- Abnormal heart rhythms
- Coronary spasms
It is believed that the main causes of magnesium deficiency include modern farming techniques, as they deplete the minerals and vitamins from the soil in which the food we consume is grown.
This soil has also been chemically treated with chemical fertilizers, pesticides, and insecticides. Long story short, the food we consume lacks the magnesium it is supposed to contain, and we cannot consume it.
Also, certain medical conditions also damage the ability of the body to absorb magnesium like Crohn’s disease or other conditions that affect digestion, kidney disease, parathyroid problems, the use of antibiotics or drugs for diabetes and cancer, aging, and alcohol abuse.
How to increase the magnesium levels?
It would be best to start using magnesium citrate, a form of magnesium supplements, which is the best absorbed in the body. It is cheap and available.
You can also use magnesium chloride, or magnesium oil, which can be bought online. Transdermal magnesium chloride is applied topically as the skin easily absorbs it.
On the other hand, the best option is to increase the intake of magnesium-rich foods, such as the following 12:
- Chocolate – 1 bar gives you 58% of your daily value.
- Okra – 1 cup of boiled okra gives you 14% of your daily value.
- Rice – 1 cup of long grain brown rice supplies 21% of your daily value.
- Spinach – 1 cup of cooked spinach is equivalent to 39% of your daily value
- Figs – 1 cup of dried figs supplies 25% of your daily value.
- Avocados – 1 fruit is equivalent to 15% of your daily value.
- Seeds – 1 ounce whole, roasted pumpkin or squash supplies 19% of your daily value.
- Almond – 1 ounce is equivalent to 19% of your daily value.
- Cashew Nuts – 1 ounce is equivalent to 20% of your daily value.
- Lentils – 1 cup of cooked lentils supplies 18% of your daily value.