The medical term of anal itching is pruritus ani. This is a very common condition which can affect both men and women but it is a more condition in men. This condition can occur at any age but the people who are between thirty and fifty are having the biggest chances of getting anal itching. Internal medical issues or skin problems can lead to anal itching. Improper wiping after a bowel movement, exposure to chemical – based perfumes and dyes, excess sweat and moisture around the anus, excess friction in the anal area, psoriasis and atopic dermatitis are skin – related causes which are causing skin itching. Fungal and yeast infections, sexually transmitted diseases, parasite, fecal incontinence, hemorrhoids, constipation, diarrhea, anal tumors, anal fissures and allergies are medical causes for anal itching.
The main symptom of this condition is itching in the anal area. Often this symptom is intense which a reason why you want to scratch is. There are also other symptoms of anal itching such as rash in and around the anal region, ulcers, swelling, redness, soreness, dryness and burning. The symptoms of this condition can be temporary or more persistent which is depending on the cause. It is embarrassing and uncomfortable condition. You should talk with your doctor if the itching is persistent. You should avoid scratching because it will exacerbate the condition. You can apply a cold compress if you want to get a temporary relief. You should manage stress because this will help you to overcome the anal itching. After using bathroom, you should always be sure that you dry your bottom well. You should never sit in the same position for hours because it can lead to buildup of sweat or moisture in the anal area which is causing you increased itching.
Here are some home remedies which can help you to get a relief from the anal itching:
- Yogurt: If your anal itching is caused by yeast infection, then you should use yogurt as your natural treatment. But you should know that not all types of yogurt can be beneficial for this condition. You must use probiotic yogurt with good bacteria (live active cultures). These bacteria are controlling the growth of the infection. If you have anal itching, then you should use plain and unsweetened yogurt for this condition. You should rub some plain yogurt on the affected areas. You should let it stay there for twenty to thirty minutes or you can let it stay there throughout all the night. Then, you should rinse it off using warm water. You should dry the affected area thoroughly. Also you should eat two to three cups of plain yogurt every day.
- Oatmeal: If you suffer from anal itching, then you can use oatmeal as your natural treatment for it. It has soothing, anti – inflammatory and anti – irritating properties which help heal itchy, inflamed and irritated skin. In a bathtub filled with lukewarm water you should add one to two cups of unprocessed oat flour or colloidal oatmeal. You should soak your body in this water for fifteen to twenty minutes. You should take oatmeal bath one or two times per day.
- Aloe Vera: This is also a very effective home remedy for anal itching. It has calming and soothing properties which can give you a relief from the anal itching, inflammation and soreness. One of the main causes for anal itching are hemorrhoids. This natural cure can reduce the irritation of hemorrhoids. You should slice away the thorny edges of a fresh Aloe Vera leaf. Then, you should cut it open. You should extract the gel from this leaf and then you should run it in and around your anus in a period of five minutes. You should reapply this gel every few hour. This will help you to get a relief from the soreness and itching.
- Coconut oil: One of the best home remedies for anal itching is the coconut oil. It can soothe your skin. Also it has antimicrobial, antifungal and antibacterial properties which can help you to treat any infection which is a cause for the anal itching. Also this natural cure can help you to expel intestinal worms. You should eat two to three tablespoons of extra – virgin coconut oil every day. Also you can use this type of oil in your cooking. You should rub some coconut oil in and around the affected areas. You should do it several times per day. This will help you to get a relief from the burning sensation and the itching.
- Garlic: Garlic is one of the best home remedies which can help you from the inside out if you suffer from anal itching. This vegetable will help you to eliminate intestinal worms which are one of the biggest causes for this condition. Garlic has antiseptic, antifungal and antibacterial properties which will help you in the treatment of any kind of infection which is responsible for the anal itching. You should eat two to three raw garlic cloves on empty stomach every day in a period of one week. Also there is another home remedy which you can make. In ½ cup of milk you should put two crushed garlic cloves. You should drink this natural cure on empty stomach in a period of one week.
- Apple cider vinegar: Fungal and yeast infections in many cases are the major cause for the anal itching. If your anal itching is caused by these infections, then you can use apple cider vinegar as your natural treatment for this condition because it can help you to control these infections. Also this natural cure can help you to alkalize your body. In one glass of water you should put two tablespoons of unfiltered and raw apple cider vinegar. You should drink this natural cure two times per day. Also there is another option which you can make from this home remedy. In a hot bath you should add one cup of apple cider vinegar. You should soak your body in this water from fifteen to twenty minutes. You should do this treatment once per day. You should follow these home remedies several days until you have noticed that the irritation and itching have subsided.
- Licorice: In the Ayurveda medicine, licorice has been used as natural treatment for anal itching. This home remedy is good for skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema that are one of the most common causes for anal itching. You should slightly roast a mixture of equal amounts of cardamom, licorice and rind of haritaki (also it is known as Chebulic myrobalan). You should grind this mixture into a fine powder. You should put one teaspoon of honey and ¼ teaspoon of this powder in one glass of water. You should drink this home remedy once per day until you get a relief from the anal itching. Also you can apply an over – the – counter licorice cream on the affected area. You should apply it a few times per day.
- Epsom salt: Psoriasis and eczema are one of the most common causes for anal itching. Epsom salt is effective home remedy for threatening these skin disorders. It can help you to get a relief from the burning sensation and itching. In a bathtub filled with warm water you should add one to two cups of Epsom salt. You should soak your body in this natural cure for fifteen to twenty minutes. You should pat dry your skin thoroughly. You should do this soothing bath two to three times per week. People who suffer from diabetes or who have kidney problems should not use Epsom salt as their natural treatment.
- Avoid food allergens: There are some foods which can cause irritation during the bowel movement which leads to anal itching. Also there are some foods which can increase the inflammation and itching. You should choose wisely which foods you should consume. Also you should avoid some food allergens for some time. Chocolate, alcoholic beverages, soda, tea and coffee are foods which can increase the rectal itching. Also you should avoid spicy foods such as jalapenos and peppers. You should avoid citrus fruits such as oranges, lemons and grapes. You should avoid the mentioned food at least two weeks. Then, you should reintroduce into your diet gradually.
- Increase fiber intake: Constipation is one of the most common causes for anal itching. When you treat the constipation, then the anal itching will be also resolved. If you want to treat the constipation, then you should increase the fiber intake. This element will promote healthy digestion. Also it can soften the stool and it will increase its bulk. You should eat foods that are rich with fiber such as peas, broccoli, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, nuts, green leafy vegetables, fresh fruits, buckwheat, prunes, quinoa, brown rice, carrots, potatoes and beans. Also you can take fiber supplements but first you need to talk with your doctor about it.