Fasting is considered as the easiest way of detoxification by Hippocrates and many religious groups. It is also known as a tool to improve health.
Also, nowadays many detox diets are suggested which helps for weight loss. But this diet can starve your body and slow down the metabolism due to loss of important nutrients.
Fatigue, dizziness, dehydration, nausea or colon damage are also some of the negative effects of a detox diet.
The Detox System of the Body
It is amazing to know that a detoxification system is already inbuilt in our body. The three critical organs involved in detoxification process are kidneys, liver and colon.
The liver – is considered as a first defence organ against the consumed toxins. It filters and prevents the food with toxins and does not allow it to pass into the blood stream.
The colon – Iconsists of bacteria which create healthy chemicals for the body. The prime function of the colon is to remove the toxin from the body before it could harm us.
Kidneys – are engaged in the process of filtration and elimination of toxin from the blood and pass it out off the body through urine.
A support of proper nutrient is very necessary in order to support the detox diet process and make it work.
Dr. Oz has recommended a 48-Hour body cleansing scheduled for the weekend. The cleansing schedule consists of different type of food one should consume to make all the detoxification organs in the body work properly. Check out the meals and snacks you have to prepare and consume in the weekend for 2 days in a row.
BREAKFAST – Quinoa with Prunes
A quinoa is the best way to start you day. It is a whole grain which is a rich source of fiber, phosphorus, and protein. You can also add some prunes to your breakfast which are rich in buber and sorbitol which works as a laxative.
Things you need:
- Quinoa – ½ cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Nutmeg – 1 pinch
- Grated ginger – 1tsp
- Flaxseed oil – 1 tbsp
- Chopped prunes – 1/3 cup
- Rice milk – ¼ cup
- Pour a cup of water in a small pot and add ½ cup of quinoa to it.
- Later ass a pinch of nutmeg and 1 tsp of grated ginger. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat after a while and cover the pot and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Now, add rice milk and prunes to it and cover it again.
- Let it cook for another 5 minutes and then add 1 tbsp of flaxseed oil to it.
- Stir it well and enjoy your yummy breakfast.
Detox Drinks as Snacks between MEALS
Here are two excellent drink which you can consume in between snacks and meals.
Drink 1: Detox drinks with pineapple, kale, and ginger
Kale acts as a good cleansing agent for kidneys. The bromelain in pineapple helps for digestion whereas the ginger in this drink will stimulate the bile flow in the gallbladder.
Things you need:
- Pineapple – ½ cup
- Cucumbers – 2 (large)
- Kale – 1 bunch (without the stems)
- Squeezed lemon – ½ piece
- Ginger – ¼ inch
- Mint – ½ cup
- Take all the ingredients and make a uniform juice using a juicer.
- Enjoy the drink when it is fresh.
Drink 2: Detox drink with pineapple, pomegranate and lemon
The combination of pineapple with lemon and pomegranate is an ideal detox drink. Check out the easy process of making this detox drink.
Things you need:
- Pineapple juice – ¾ cup (unsweetened)
- Lemon – 1
- Pomegranate juice – 1 cup (unsweetened)
- Water – 3 cups
- Just mix all the ingredients and stir it well.
- This recipe will make 4 servings which you can enjoy throughout the day.
The combination of different vegetable is best for snacks. Take properly chopped radishes, slices of celery and cucumber along with other vegetables of your choice. Mix them well and pour some olive oil, salt, lemon juice and pepper in it. Enjoy your delicious and healthy snacks.
Fruit Smoothie for LUNCH
Blueberries in this recipe are a rich source of quercetin which is very useful to improve the immunity and functioning of the liver. The banana consists of vitamin B6 which is an important ingredient for the liver detoxification process. The flaxseed in the smoothie has omega 3 which is brain-nourishing and has ample amount of fiber in it which helps in the elimination process.
Things you need:
- Almond milk- ½ cup (plain and unsweetened)
- Ground flaxseed or chia- 1 tbsp
- Blueberries- ¼ cup (frozen)
- Banana- ¼ piece
- Ice- ½ cup
- Use a blender and add ingredients to it
- Mix and stir well and keep blending the stuff until you get a smooth fruit smoothie for your lunch.
Vegetable Broth Soup for Dinner
The dinner soup is quite healthy! It has cabbage which is a most useful vegetable for detoxification of kidney nd liver. Garlic helps for the proper functioning of the gall bladder. The shitake mushrooms improve the production of liver enzymes.
Things you need:
- Red onions – 2 (chopped)
- Celery stalks – 2 (chopped)
- Fennel bulb – 1 (chopped)
- Caraway seeds – 2 tsp
- Sea salt – 2 tsp
- Ground pepper – as per taste
- Slice shitake caps – 1 cup
- Garlic cloves – 4 (chopped)
- Cabbage – 1 (chopped)
- Water – 2 quarts
- Paprika – 2 tbsp
- Fresh oregano – 2 tbsp (chopped)
- Parsley – 8 springs (chopped)
- Parsley – ½ cup
- Put all the ingredients except the chopped parsley in a cooking pot.
- Add 2 quarts of water to it and let it boil on medium flame.
- Allow it to simmer on reduced heat for an hour
- Serve the soup along with the chopped parsley on the top of it.
Take a Note of following Rules:
During these 2 days detoxification process, you have to follow the given rules.
- Eat before 7 p.m only!
- Take a bath with Epsom salt water. This will help you to remove the toxins through sweat and make your muscles relax.
- Have a cup of dandelion root tea before going to bed. This will help you to eliminate the toxins from your body with the help of liver.
Additional list of ingredients which can boost body’s system of detox:
The Colon – The whole grain acts as a natural laxative due to the phosphorus content. It also has fiber which help in stool formation. The sour pickles and fermented foods are also good for colon due to a high level of probiotics and good bacteria in it.
The Liver – Blueberries and blackberries help the liver to eliminate the toxins from the body. Capsaicin in hot peppers is useful to boost enzymes which are responsible for detoxification of the liver.
The kidneys – Soy products are natural diuretics and allow you to urinate more frequently. Vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower and bok choy boost kidney’s capability to eliminate toxin through urination.
So, go for the 2 days weekend detoxification to keep your system healthy!