There has been an ever-growing movement towards the use of natural and alternative remedies for a number of ailments, employing the natural benefits of consuming specific foods and ingredients to find relief without the use of pharmaceuticals.
The increased interest in these remedies has led to several scientific studies, providing us with greater insight into which remedies work, and why. One of the remedies, Turmeric, has taken the internet by storm. With many scientific studies, and an even greater number of personal accounts, there are countless medicinal uses for this spice including the treatment and relief of inflammatory bowel disease, arthritis and cystic fibrosis.
Turmeric is easy to integrate into one’s daily routine, with a number of forms, such as powder filled capsules and fluid extract. It is important to know the dosages required in order for the remedy to be effective. These dosages include:
- 1 to 3g per day of dried, powdered root
- 30 to 90 drops per day of fluid extract (1:1)
- 15 to 30 drops, 4 times per day of Tincture (1:2)
- 5 to 3g per day of cut root
- 400 to 600 mg, 3 times per day of the standardized powder (curcumin)
One highly effective way to include turmeric in your diet is through the creation of health focused drinks. These juices are highly effective, combining several ingredients each with their own natural health benefits. Below is a recipe for a turmeric miracle drink, with several health benefits including reduced inflammation, more energy and weight loss.
Turmeric Miracle Drink
- 4 to 5 inches of turmeric root
- 2 to 3 inches of ginger root
- 1 orange
- 2 lemons
- 1 cucumber
- 5 carrots
- 1 Tbsp holy basil powder (if using fresh basil, use 2 Tbsp)
- ¼ tsp powdered cayenne pepper
- In a juicing machine or blender, combine the ginger, carrots, turmeric, orange, lemons and cucumber.
- Once this mixture has been reduced to a juice-like texture, add the cayenne powder and holy basil. Mix all ingredients to ensure they are well blended.
- Serve and enjoy!