Let’s be honest for a hot sec: Ice cream is the quintessential summer indulgence, and avocados are one of the best warm-weather (okay, all-weather) ingredients. So the only question is: Why wouldn’t you combine the two? Rather than leave the house for a run-of-the-mill vanilla cone, go on and whip up this Avocado Lime Ice Cream recipe the next time you’re jonesing for a frozen dessert. It was created by pastry chef Mina Pizarro of L’Appart, a French Michelin star restaurant in New York City, and believe me — she knows what she’s doing.
The avocado is a star ingredient here, as it works to enhance the flavor of your dessert while giving it an ultra-smooth, creamy texture. The lime works as a counter-balance, serving up a refreshing palate cleanser of sorts to create the perfect post-dinner dessert. Wondering what other creative dishes work with avocado?
I won’t lie and say this recipe is the healthiest thing you could eat — it still has a hefty dose of heavy cream and sugar — but look at it this way: Adding in healthy fats from the avocado makes this a great choice for a healthy twist on an already indulgent dessert. Make it right at home to stun your family, friends, and tastebuds — no ice cream maker required.
Avocado Lime Ice Cream
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 7 hours
Makes: 4 servings
- 1 1/4 cup sliced avocado
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/8 cup water
- 3/5 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/8 cup condensed milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Place in a silver mixing bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Freeze for 2 hours.
- Remove from the freezer and beat with a stand mixer or hand mixer. Freeze for another 2 hours.
- Remove from freezer and beat with the mixer again. The ice cream should be thick but too soft to scoop.
- Pour into a plastic airtight container, packing it down. Leave at least 1/2 inch space at the top for the ice cream to expand. Cover the container and place in the freezer until firm.
- Once ice cream is firm enough to scoop, serve and enjoy!