For the first time in my life I visited Thailand a year ago. Before that, I must admit that I had been longing to visit this incredible country because I love tropical areas. But, what certainly left me speechless is a cocktail with lanzones syrup that I tried in one of the beach bars. Whenever I tried to order a cocktail with other exotic fruit taste for a change, I was ordering this lanzones syrup cocktail over and over again, because it was so irreplaceable tasty. I really got on well with the barman and he shared some facts about lanzones fruit. I even tried some of them– the healthy, tropical fruit that originates from Malaysia, the Philippines and Thailand.
These lanzones are also known as Lansium domesticum, langsat or buahluku. This fruit belongs to the Mahogany family and they originate from Southeast Asia and Southern India. They have round, elliptical or oval shape with yellowish to brownish peel. According to their shape they look like small potatoes but. they grow similarly like the grapes in bunches. Not to even mention its taste or even the advantages of consuming it.
People cultivate lanzones for the fruit. There are many ways to consume it, however the raw lanzones are the healthiest choice. Thailand people make a syrup out of this fruit, thus they preserve it for a longer period of the year, but candies are made out of them also. However, Thai people consume this fruit raw mostly.
Here are some benefits for health of Lanzones:
The benefit of the lanzones fruit can be seen in the fact that many traditional medications are made from some parts of the plant, for example:
1. Ulcer and Deworming Medictation – this remedy can be made by pounding and mixing the bitter lanzones seeds.
2. Dysentery and Malaria – these diseases are traditionally treated with the bark of the lanzones tree, but, if the bark is powdered it cures scorpion stings.
3. Diarrhea – the peel of the lanzones fruit and also the bark from the tree is used to treat diarrhea efficiently. Also, the dried and burned peel can be used as incense.
4. Antipyretic Properties – the lanzones fruit is highly effective remedy for high temperature.
5. Rich in Riboflavin or B2 Vitamin – this is a very beneficial property of the lanzones fruit. 100g of lanzones contain 8% or the daily recommended dose of B2 vitamin for both men and women. This vitamin is versatile, but mostly is used for body growth and it generates red blood cells. Another property of this fruit is that it plays an incredible role in helping your organism to transform the carbs into energy.
6. Rich in Thiamine or B1 Vitamin – improves the health of those with nervous system disorder and cardiovascular illnesses. B1 vitamin has an anti-stress property, which means that it has the potential to help you reduce the impact the stress has on you.
7. Rich in Vitamin A – it is a crucial element for health and strength of our bones, maintaining clear skin, vision and also it improves the neurological function. Its antioxidant properties support our immune system, thus improving the health of our whole body by the help of this fruit.
8. Rich in Antioxidants – lanzones are rich in carotene, and polyphenols, which are natural powerful antioxidants. All of them are vital for preventing oxidation processes that damage our cells and causes mutilation that is connected to many wicked diseases. Antioxidants have anti-ageing properties in the fight with the wrinkles. Also, the risk for diabetes, cardiovascular diseases and cancer will be significantly reduced.
9. Bloating Treatment – the resin from the bark of the lanzones tree treats bloating, swelling and spasm conditions. Also, the resin has anti-inflammatory and anti-colic properties. It protects the abdomen from acute pains.
10. Rich in Fiber – lanzones fruit is an incredible source of fiber. A hundred grams of lanzones has more than 2g of fiber and that is 6% of the recommended dose per day for men and 8% for women. Fiber is never enough for our bodies and it relieves the digestive track problems and reduces the risk of cardiovascular diseases. Only the flesh of the lanzones fruit is edible, not the seeds or the peel.
Nowadays, you don’t have an excuse not to eat lanzones, because (just in case you didn’t know) they can be found easily on the tropical markets, here in the USA and in Canada as well. You should all know about these amazing benefits of lanzones.