The lemon (Citrus × limon) is a small evergreen tree native to Asia, and the tree’s ellipsoidal yellow fruit. The fruit’s juice, pulp and peel, especially the zest, are used as foods. The juice of the lemon is about 5% to 6% citric acid, which gives lemons a sour taste. The distinctive sour taste of lemon juice makes it a key ingredient in drinks and foods such as lemonade, cocktails and soft drinks.
Lemon juice is also used as a short-term preservative on certain foods that tend to oxidize and turn brown after being sliced, such as apples, bananas and avocados, where its acid denatures the enzymes that cause browning and degradation.
Apart from the above mentioned use of lemons, here we are presenting you with a few reasons why you should drink lemon water in the morning with flat tummy.
No! here we are not asking you to stop drinking your soothing morning cup of coffee which is great in taste and the warmth, smell it welcomes you with is just indescribable, just postpone that cup for a good 30 minutes. Facts listed down here will surely make you give it a try and please try it for at least 28 days. Why 28? because that’s how long it takes to form any habit.
Alkalizing in Nature
Human body performs best when it’s more alkaline, on the other hand acidic bodies are prone to cancer cell formation. Lemon although being an acidic fruit acts as an alkalizing agent when it enters the human body and lowers the acid levels.
Due to the foods we eat, things our skin is exposed to and the environment we are living in most of the people have very acidic body and lemon water helps decrease the pH level.
Packed with essential nutrients
Lemon is vitamin-rich and contains vitamin C (anti-oxidant, anti-bacterial & effective for supporting the immune system), vitamin B (increases energy), riboflavin (protects against tissue damage) and also contain minerals like phosphorus, calcium and magnesium which are important for building bones and teeth.
Helps Liver Eliminate Toxins and Waste Products
Our liver is responsible for detoxification, protein synthesis and production of bio chemicals to support our digestive system. Lemon water benefits the liver by increasing the level of detoxifying enzymes, as a result liver function is improved. Lemon being diuretic in nature increases the rate of urination and therefore it purifies the blood.
Cheap Remedy for Wrinkles
Lemon helps to remove wrinkles and also improves the appearance of the skin. The presence of too many toxins in our body makes it look unhealthy and since lemon water fights that, you’ll get a clear glowing skin. The citric acid contents present in the lemon also helps fight acne. So the cheapest remedy for glowing acne and wrinkle free skin is a small cup of lemon water every morning.
Easy Weight Loss Remedy
A liver containing high amount of toxins can slow down the process of metabolism as a result more accumulation of fat takes place in the body. Not only does the lemon eliminate those harmful toxins but also help to burn fats. A healthy diet, regular exercise and a glass of lemon water can help reduce the excess fat effectively. Lemon can also control hunger craving because of the high pectin fiber contents present in it.
Cures Respiratory Problems & Freshens Breath
If you need to get rid of cough and chest infections then lemon water is an ideal remedy for you. In fact, you can consider it as a vitamin C supplement. It is also beneficial for asthma patients and people having allergies.
Toothache, gingivitis and other oral health related problems can be effectively treated with its use. It also makes your breath fresh. But when using lemon, be careful as it can damage the tooth enamel.
To conclude for this session here is how you can make one for yourself from tomorrow morning:
- Fill a glass with warm water (you can take water at room temperature or cold it doesn’t really matter but people with digestive problems, use warm water)
- Squeeze the juice of 1/2 fresh lemon into glass of water. (The water will turn cloudy)
- Mix well and drink
* Avoid taking bottled juice because the sulphites present in them may cause an allergic reaction.
SOME MORE FACTS ABOUT LEMON
- On average a single tree produces about 500 to 600 pound lemon in one year
- According to the food historians the cultivation of lemon dates back to the first century A.D.
- It was the period of the California Gold Rush when lemons got their fame for preventing scurvy. Because of this property the demand for it rose and the miners paid heavy amount of money to get a single lemon, for this reason it was abundantly cultivated throughout California.
- During the period of the European Renaissance, lemon juice was used to redden the lips, and it was considered as a fashion statement.
- Arizona and California are the largest producers of lemon crops in the U.S., almost 95% of the crop is cultivated in these regions.