Alpine strawberries have many health benefits such as treat respiratory disorders, relieve inflammation, combat cancer, detoxify the body, lower cholesterol, regulate diabetes, stimulate liver activity, prevents signs of aging, boost the immune system, hydrate the body and soothe digestion. Also they have some side effects to be wary of such as allergic reactions, skin inflammation and certain side effects in pregnant women. These strawberries go by many names such as European strawberry and wild strawberry but the scientific name of this berry plant is Fragaria vesca or Fragaria alpine, according to some scientists. These strawberries grow in wild and they have been consumed by indigenous since the Stone Age. Alpine strawberries are also reputed to be easier, flavorful and sweeter to grow. The health benefits of these strawberries are legendary and every part of these plants has been used for some type of medicinal application.
Benefits for Health and Body of alpine strawberries:
- Heal sore throat: The leaves of alpine strawberries can be boiled in water for four to five minutes until the active ingredients are released and then the resultant liquid can be drink to eliminate pain and inflammation in the throat. This is very effective for people who are struggling with flu and cold symptoms because this brew can help reduce congestion.
- Maintain hydration: Alpine strawberries have many nutrients but also they have high water content. They are traditionally picked by travelers on the road because they can increase energy and maintain hydration levels.
- Detoxify the body: The leaves of alpine strawberries have diuretic properties. When they are brewed into a tea, then they can help to detoxify the body and it can improve the kidney functions. Excess urination lowers stress on kidneys and also it can promote elimination of excess water, toxins, salts and fats from the body.
- Prevent cancer: Alpine strawberries have a wide range of flavonoids, proanthocyanids, tannins and phenolic compounds but also they are high in antioxidants which seek out and neutralize free radicals before they lead to mutation of healthy cells into cancerous cells. This can lower your risk of chronic disease and various cancers.
- Aid digestion: The leaves of alpine strawberry have long been used to treat gastrointestinal problems, including high acidity levels, nausea, diarrhea and constipation. The leaf preparation is also excellent for stimulating the appetite and it can improve the digestive efficiency and nutrient uptake.
- Control diabetes: It has many antioxidant compounds and it is low in calories. This fruit has been linked to lower risk of diabetes and better maintenance of blood sugar levels, both in people who have high risk of developing diabetes and people who suffer from diabetes.
- Prevent liver damage: When you consume juice of alpine strawberries on an empty stomach, then this is known that it can stimulate the liver function and also it can help to heal damage from hepatitis and cirrhosis. Although the liver cells re-grow very slowly, the regular use of this juice from the wild strawberries can speed up this recovery process.
- Regulate blood pressure: It has moderate amounts of potassium which can help to lower the blood pressure and it can protect the cardiovascular health. This element is vasodilator which means that it can reduce the stress on your arteries and blood vessels which can lower your risk of strokes, heart attacks and atherosclerosis.
- Prevent premature aging: Alpine strawberry juice has high amounts of antioxidants and often it is applied topically on the skin because it can eliminate age blemishes and wrinkles. These strawberries have natural bleaching agents which can speed up the healing process of wounds and insect bites, balance out skin coloration and help clear up skin.
- Rich in Vitamin C: Alpine strawberries are rich in Vitamin C which can boost the immune system by stimulating the production of white blood cells which is also acting as antioxidant throughout the body.