Papaya is the only fruit that is available all through the year. It is pear-shaped luscious and sweet fruit; the consistency of the pulp will be like soft butter. Usually it will be around 1 pound in weight and 7 inches long. The flesh inside the papaya will be in orange colour with slight shades of yellow or pink.
Not only the Papaya fruit but other parts of it are also very good for skin, hair and health. It contains an enzyme called ‘Papain’ that helps you in digesting proteins easily. It is used as a main ingredient in chewing gums and also used to make dietary supplements. Papaya is a wholesome fruit that offers many benefits for your skin.
Papayas are actually found in Central America. The fruit was bought to many sub tropical regions by Portugal and Spain explorers, later on it travelled to places including India, Philippines and some parts of Africa.
Papaya is also called as “The Fruit of the Angels” as it is liked by one and all because of it delicious taste, texture and the health benefits provided by it.
Along with the Papain enzymes, it is good source of antioxidants and nutrients such as Vitamin C, Vitamin B, carotenes, and flavonoids, fiber and minerals like magnesium and potassium. Papaya’s pulp is used as a fundamental constituent of many shampoos and facial creams.
Benefits of Papaya for Skin
Papaya contains many healthy components that are good for skin and makes your skin glowing and healthy. It is an inexpensive fruit that is available to common man and is useful in many ways.
- It is a best source of Papain and Vitamin A, which helps in breaking inactive proteins and also aids in the removal of dead skin cells
- Low sodium quality of papaya helps in retaining water and always keeps your skin hydrated
- Papaya contains plenty of Carotene in comparison to other fruits including guava, custard apple, apple and plantains
- It helps you reducing pimples and blemishes, with the application of finely ground raw papaya paste. After leaving it on for 25 minutes acne disappears from the face
- The skin becomes soft, supple by applying directly or by eating it
- The skin shines everlastingly with the application or consumption of papaya on a regular basis
- Mashed papaya can also be used to treat cracked and painful heels
- It acts as skin exfoliater, that cleans the skin and makes it healthy
- It helps your skin discoloration, with the application of papaya on a regular basis
- Papaya peel can not only whiten the face but also helps in whitening the arms and legs
- Raw papaya is the best treatment for ringworms. You can reduce the inflammation by rubbing the raw papaya slices on the ringworm patches
- It also helps you in reducing the signs of aging on the face
How to Use Papaya for Skin
Papaya peel is good for the treating the aging signs. You have to rub the papaya peel all over the face and leave it for 5 minutes and then rinse it off with cold water. Use it on a regular basis for better results. Papaya contains AHA’s or Alfa-Hydroxy Acid in abundance, which has great anti-aging properties; these properties make papaya an acidic fruit. So, avoid applying it regularly as it causes irritation and dryness to your sensitive skin.
Papaya can also be used in treating the dark spots. In order to remove dark spots you have to apply mashed papaya mixed with milk on the affected area. Regular application of papaya will help in toning your skin, improving complexion and also makes your skin glow.
In order to keep your skin hydrated, take mashed papaya and mix it with few drops of honey and gently apply the mixture on your face.
Papaya is very efficient in treating dry skin. Take a small slice of papaya, mash it well and 1 tbsp of milk cream or Malai and mix them. Apply the mixture on your face. After 20 minutes, wash it off carefully.
Papaya can also be used as a moisturizing agent for the skin. Blend a clean ripe papaya into a fine paste. Now take the paste and apply it all over your face and leave it for 15 minutes. Now rinse it off carefully with a wash cloth and pat it dry for better results.
It can be used to tighten your skin, mix mashed papaya, rice flour and honey. Now apply the mixture on your skin and leave it for 20 minutes. Apply this pack thrice a week for good results.
Papaya can also be used as a scrub. The body scrub can be made by mixing mashed raw papaya along with salt spa, olive oil and honey.
Papaya is a great cure for skin tan and can also evens the skin tone. For good complexion, the papaya face pack can be made by following the steps mentioned below:
- Mash a pulpy papaya and make a paste of it
- Add honey, yogurt, egg white and lemon juice to the paste
- Mix all the above ingredients together until it becomes thick
- Before the application, wash your face thoroughly
- Once the face is clean and free of dirt, apply the mixture on your face as a facial mask and let it rest for 15 to 20 minutes
- Now use lukewarm water to rinse it off and pat dry
Papaya does not only benefit your skin but also benefits of your hair as well.
Benefits of Papaya for Hair
In addition to the amazing skin benefits, papaya also provides hair care benefits, which can be obtained by consuming the fruit on a regular basis or by using of hair care products that contain papaya as its main ingredient. Papaya helps in nourishing the hair shaft and creates the volume. Other hair benefits of papaya are mentioned below:
- Papaya helps you in preventing balding, with its rich nutrients. It also helps in boosting hair strength and growth
- Papaya is very efficient in controlling and preventing dandruff
- You can reduce hair thinning by adding papaya to your regular diet (though it may not work well in every individual and the results may vary)
- Papaya removes excess oil, chemical build up and dirt from your hair naturally with the help of vitamins, minerals and enzymes present in it
- Extracts of papaya leaf can be used as a hair conditioner, which adds shine to your dull and lifeless hair
- You can obtain a strong, think and shiny hair by applying a papaya hair mask
How to Use Papaya for Hair
Papaya hair mask makes your hair thicker, stronger and shiner. It can be made as follows:
- Ripe papaya : 1 cup diced
- Ripe banana: 1 cup diced
- Molasses: 1 tbsp
- Coconut oil: 1 tbsp
- Yogurt: 1 cup
Don’t Miss – Beneficial features of Papaya Fruit
- Mix all the above ingredients and blend them together thoroughly. Be careful that you do not leave out chunks of the diced ingredients in the blender
- Apply the mixture to damp / wet hair
- After application, cover the hair with a plastic or shower cap
- Leave it to rest for half an hour
- Now generate heat by wrapping a towel on and around your shower cap
- Allow it to stand for another half an hour
- Now rinse your hair in your normal manner (as you do regularly)
- You can also add a deep conditioner, along with the ingredients to make your hair super soft (but this is optional)
Till now we have discussed various benefits of papaya for the skin and hair, now let’s move on and talk about about the medicinal uses of papaya.