Being unhappy with our weight is not uncommon. Perhaps you have gained some weight and want to lose it so that you can fit back into your favorite jeans? Maybe you want to lose some weight so that you can look good on an important future event (your sister’s wedding, graduation ceremony, or just simply to look good on a date).
Or perhaps you want to lose weight to improve your overall health?
Well, it’s easy to say that you want to lose some weight, but the reality is, if weight loss was that simple, then most people would not be overweight.
So why do so many people fail to lose weight then? There are four main reasons:
They lack a clear goal.
Most people said: “Wow, just realized that it’s pretty hard to fit into this jeans anymore. Well, guess I need to lose some weight, I will start to exercise and eat better, starting next Monday,” which is not specific enough. Rather than saying that, you should set a clear goal with a time frame, such as: “I plan to lose 10 pounds in a month.” As the saying goes, if you fail to plan, then you are really planning to fail.
They didn’t measure and monitor progress.
How many times have you set weight loss as a New Year Resolution? Maybe you have set a good goal that is measurable and within a certain time frame (10 pounds in a month), however most people fail to monitor and measure their progress. They don’t weigh themselves regularly, and hence they don’t even know whether they hit their goal or not. In the end, they just give up.
They are relying on willpower and memory.
Perhaps you plan to weigh in every week, but we humans often have limited willpower. We also have many other things that we need to remember, so it’s very normal for us to forget stuff. In the end, you might forget to weigh yourself and it results in not updating their progress.
They don’t reward themselves enough.
Weight loss can be a pretty long journey, and it is a better idea to reward yourself on every milestone that you have achieved. The reward will motivate you.
So how do you avoid those problems? It’s very simple, you can use this little known tool to:
- Set a clear goal (how many pounds to lose and by when). A clear goal is specific, measurable, actionable, relevant, and time-bound.
- Measure progress by crossing off the numbers and checking the date.
- Paste this tool in the place that you frequent, so you don’t have to rely on memory
- Set a small reward for every milestone that you have achieved.
- Additional benefit from using this tool is social support. Since you will be posting this tool in your home (or whatever place that you frequent), other people (be it your family, or your roommate) will know about your weight loss plan. They will help you keep yourself accountable in maintaining a healthy lifestyle so that you are successful in losing the weight.
So what is this tool you’ve been talking about? Show it to me!
Well the tool is actually just a simple poster. However many people loved this poster (it has been shared over 5,000 times in Pinterest alone). Here is what the poster looks like:
Yes – this simple poster can actually help you lose weight. It’s very much like a vision board and its boldness and brightness doesn’t allow you to forget or pass over your goals.