Super foods are very trendy these days. People love them because they are packed with many nutrients and they usually don’t have to eat large quantities to get these nutrients.
As a matter of fact many of them come in very small packages like tukmaria seeds for instance. These small black seeds have grabbed the attention of the public due to the fact that they come with a myriad of health benefits.
Tukmaria seeds have been used in China and India for healing purposes since ancient times. The latest scientific research and studies have confirmed that people did a good job when they included these seeds in their diet.
What are Tukmaria Seeds?
They are the seeds that come from the sweet basil plant. So, it is not unusual to find them as sweet basil seeds. Indians also call them sabja seeds.
The best part of tukmaria seeds is the fact that you can eat them and feel all the benefits they bring right after you soak them in regular water for half an hour. Another great thing about them is that they can be used in almost any meal or drink – oatmeal, yogurt, smoothies, juices etc.
The Difference Between Tukmaria Seeds and Chia Seeds
Chia seeds are another popular type of seeds considered to be superfood. In many cases people don’t make a difference between tukmaria and chia seeds and in other cases they are trying to determine which seeds are better.
People who have never seen any of these seeds before will probably be unable to separate chia from tukmaria seeds. The situation is even more complicated when they are in their typical gelatinous form But, if you do a brief research you’ll be able to tell the difference right away.
First of all, we should point out that both tukmaria and chia seeds have nutritional values that are stunning and they contain almost the same nutrients. However, this doesn’t mean that they contain the same amount of each nutrient. Now let’s see what makes these seeds different.
To start with, tukmaria seeds are completely black. Chia seeds are available in different colors – brown, black, white and gray and different shades of each color.
Furthermore, tukmaria seeds tend to grow and become gelatinous very fast when they are placed in water and this is something that chia seeds can’t achieve so quickly. Additionally, tukmaria seeds are usually larger compared to chia seeds when they are soaked in water.
Experts point out another big difference between these two superfoods – in order to consume tukmaria seeds; you need to soak them for half an hour in regular water. Chia seeds can be consumed without soaking them in water.
When we talk about the nutrients they contain, we must mention that tukmaria seeds come with more carbs compared to chia seeds. On the other hand, chia seeds have more protein and fat.
Benefits and healing properties of Tukmaria Seeds
Due to their fantastic nutritional profile, these seeds have become a real hit among people who care for their diet and health. These are some of the most important benefits for health of tukmaria seeds.
- Eliminate Different Issues Related to GI (gastrointestinal) Tract. Practitioners of traditional medicine have relied on tukmaria seeds in cases of flatulence, indigestion and abs cramps for hundreds of years. Due to the high fiber content in tukmaria seeds, they can also protect us from constipation.
- Very Efficient Against Different Respiratory Problems. These seeds packed with nutrients are praised for their ability to ease persistent cough and its associated signs and symptoms. There are many people who can confirm the efficiency of tukmaria seeds in cases of flu and cold.
- Great for the Cognitive Functions. Tukmaria seeds are especially helpful for individuals who are experiencing stress, anxiety and fatigue because they are soothing the nerves and brain. They help people stay focused and improve memory. In addition, people who are dealing with migraine and depression should also include tukmaria seeds in their diet.
- Tukmaria Seeds Help People Suffering from Arthritis. Studies have confirmed that tukmaria seeds have strong anti-inflammatory properties. This means that they are able to soothe joint pain and reduce their inflammation. Using these special seeds is believed to be helpful in preventing the emergence of plaque in the walls of arteries which ultimately means lower chances of experiencing heart disease.
- Support Weight Loss. Many people take these seeds to aid the weight loss process. When they reach the stomach they grow even more and provide a feeling of satiety They will suppress the appetite for a long time. Obviously, if you are able to stay sated for a longer time, you will be able to lose weight.
- Stabilize Body Temperature. Spicing up your smoothie, juice, tea or other cold drink with this super-food during the summer period will help you lower and stabilize the body temperature and avoid problems associated with high temperature.
- Support Hair and Skin Health. They are packed with many useful nutrients like vitamin K, iron and protein which mean that they are beneficial for the hair and skin. In addition, they are rich in fiber that gives them strength to eliminate toxins from the body and improve the appearance of the skin making it smoother and softer.
It turns out that chewing these seeds is great for those who are dealing with oral sores. Women with irregular menstrual cycles and people suffering from anemia will find them useful too.